If you want to learn how to get rid of man boobs, this guide will show you how in the fastest and most efficient way possible, without losing muscle.
When you are trying to figure out how to get rid of man boobs, you must know how to efficiently lower your body fat percentage.
The truth is you can lose fat in a number of ways. Your body type, metabolic rate, diet and activity level all play a huge role in how one goes about losing fat and therefore get rid of man boobs.
In reality, most of the methods out there will help you lose weight. That is where things get sketchy. Most often when people say that they want to lose weight, they actually mean they want to lose fat.
Many of the protocols out there will help you lose weight. Some of it may be fat and some of it is usually muscle as well. That usually leaves the person in a “skinny fat” state.
You will still be wondering how to get rid of man boobs because you will still have them, they will just be down sized.
In this guide, I will not be telling you how to lose weight through a crash diet and a lot of cardio, only to have you end up skinny fat and still wondering how to get rid of the man boobs.
I will tell you how to shed body fat while keeping your hard earned muscle mass, and even gaining some muscle! Man boobs will be no more!
Let’s get into it.
Common Mistakes When Learning How To Get Rid Of Man Boobs
If you follow the mainstream ideas to lose weight fast you may lose weight at an increased rate. But the goal should not be to just lose weight, it should be to lose body fat.
Following a common starvation diet with hours of cardio will get you to lose weight. However, like I already said, a lot of that weight will be muscle loss and water weight. The scale will show you a lower number but your body will most likely not look much better, in terms of composition.
This is a mistake and NOT how you get rid of man boobs. Smaller man boobs are still man boobs and that’s not what you’re after right? You want a more defined and muscular body.
So, what are the most common mistakes when trying to lose fat fast?
Here they are:
- Starving yourself or eating a very low calorie and low protein diet.
- Not lifting heavy weights.
- Spending too much time focused on cardio.
These methods will certainly help you lose WEIGHT, but it will not be what you’re actually aiming to lose. Which is body fat.
1) Starving Yourself and Eating A Low Protein Diet.
All of the most popular diets out there restrict you to very low calorie diets with a low protein intake. That will get you to lose weight but that weight lost will be not only be fat. This is far from ideal.
In addition, eating not enough protein will cause your body to rapidly lose muscle mass. Protein not only builds muscle and protects it from breaking down, it also helps you feel full. This is invaluable when you are on a cutting phase and need to stay away from overeating.
2) Not Lifting Heavy
Almost everyone that is new to fitness believes that lifting weights only builds muscle and doesn’t help you lose fat. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
In actuality, if you want to keep your muscle mass or even gain muscle while losing fat, you have to lift heavy weights. Lifting heavy with low reps helps you lose fat by increasing your metabolism. It keeps your muscles intact and/or builds them larger because you are putting stress on them to get them stronger.
Lifting light weights for high repetitions and chasing “the pump” does not work as well either. You will increase endurance but not overall strength. Research shows that heavy lifting is the most effective way to maintain or gain muscle while losing fat and that it directly aids fat burning by increasing your metabolism.
3) Over-Doing Your Cardio Training
Doing cardio can help you burn calories and therefore more fat. However, doing too much can do more harm than good if your thinking in terms of gaining muscle while losing fat.
Research shows that doing excessive cardio interferes with your ability to gain strength and muscle. Furthermore, it also accelerates muscle loss and makes it harder for you to recover from your workouts.
In addition to that, research shows that excessive amounts of cardio increases hunger. Most likely leading to eating too much. Overeat often enough and you’ll not just prevent fat loss, you’ll cause fat gain.
How to Get Rid of Man Boobs Most Effectively With Your Diet
You’ve read the most common mistakes when learning how to get rid of man boobs so now let’s check out what you can actually try to get rid of them through your diet/supplementation.
Now we will cover:
- Eat In An Aggressive Caloric Deficit.
- Eat A High Protein and High Carb Diet.
- Take Proven Fat Burning Supplements.
Read on to see more!
1) Eat In An Aggressive Caloric Deficit
You’re carrying more body fat around because you consistently ate more calories than you burned over time. The only way to get rid of that excess fat is to do the opposite: eat less than you burn over time.
When you do this, you’re eating in what’s called a “calorie deficit”. It works because your energy (food) intake is less than your body needs to function on a daily basis with your current activity levels. It must get that additional energy from somewhere, and so it taps into its own fat stores. So your body uses it’s own fat stores as energy because you didn’t feed it “enough”.
That’s why I recommend that you eat in an aggressive, but not over the top, deficit of 20-25% below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
How to Find Your TDEE
To find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), you first need to find your estimated Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
You can figure out your BMR with a mathematical equation using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation. Here it is:
BMR = 10 x Weight (in kilograms) + 6.25 x Height (in centimeters) – 5 x Age (in years) + 5
Let’s see how it looks for me as an example:
- 10 x 90.718kg +6.25 x 187.96cm – 5 x 30 + 5= 1936.93
- First you can use Google in a new tab to find out your info in kilograms and centimeters.
- Then you plug in your numbers and do the multiplication first. (Ex. 907.18 + 1174.75 – 150 + 5)
- Then just do the addition and finally subtraction and your good!
Once you have your BMR, use it to figure out your TDEE. Use your phone’s calculator to do it in a couple minutes or less.
The following slightly modified list of activity multipliers has worked great for me:
- Your BMR x 1.15 = Little to no exercise.
- BMR x 1.2 to 1.35 = 1 to 3 hours of exercise or sports per week
- Your BMR x 1.4 to 1.55 = 4 to 6 hours of exercise or sports per week
- BMR x 1.6 to 1.75 = 7 to 9 hours of exercise or sports per week
- Your BMR x 1.8 to 1.95 = 10 plus hour of exercise or sports per week
Once you do all of this you should come out with an accurate measure of your TDEE. Use your TDEE and multiply it by 20-25% and that will give you your daily calorie intake to lose body fat fast.
2) Eat A High Protein And High Carb Diet
It is well known that protein is among the most important macronutrient for building muscle. However, it plays a major role when trying to lose fat as well.
Studies show that eating enough protein helps you:
- Recover from your workouts faster.
- Gain muscle and lose fat faster.
- Retain more muscle while restricting your calories for weight loss.
- Feel more satisfied by your meals (and thus be less likely to overeat).
Not to mention, consuming lots of protein also causes your metabolism to rise due to the fact that it burns more calories to digest protein.
All in all having a higher protein intake is far superior to a low protein diet to lose fat and retain muscle mass.
Contrary to what you may have heard, you also want to eat a high carb diet when learning how to lose the man boobs.
From experience and in actuality, a high-carb diet will:
- Help you gain muscle and strength faster
- Improve your mood and reduce fatigue
- Allow you to push harder in your workouts
So you might be like, “What is this guy talking about?, Everyone knows that low carb is the best way to lose fat.” While that is what the mainstream fitness world will tell you, in my 15 years of experience, that is not necessarily the case.
When you’re exercising regularly, your body stores the carbohydrates you eat as glycogen (an energy source) in your muscles instead of converting it into body fat. This gold for you and your body when you regularly train hard.
So how much protein and carbs should you actually eat when trying to figure out how to get rid of man boobs?
- 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. (And if you’re very overweight (25%+ body fat), you can reduce this to 40% of your daily calories.)
- 1 to 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight per day.
This is enough to preserve your muscle mass and to fuel your workouts, while still allowing you to lose fat fast.
Here is what your daily nutrition should look like:
- 40% of calories from protein
- 40% of calories from carbohydrates
- 20% of calories from quality fats
And remember to eat 25% less than your TDEE. That is where the magic happens.
3) Take Proven Fat Burning Supplements
So you want to get rid of man boobs and have got your diet in check. What supplements can you take to speed things up?
I am not one to try and push supplements down our throat. In fact, most of the fitness supplements out there are trash. The truth is that your diet choices and training are gonna be what give you real results. End of story.
However, there are ingredients out there that are definitely proven to help you achieve results faster, especially when you become more advanced.
Those are the products that I will recommend to you to help you get results. I have done immense amounts of research over the years looking for quality products and for what works when it comes to building muscle, strength and losing fat.
When it comes to losing fat, there are fat burning supplements that work with certain ingredients to aid in boosting your metabolism and burn fat faster.
Here they are:
- 3 to 6 mg of caffeine per kilogram of body weight per day. This will raise the number of calories you burn and also increases strength, muscle endurance, and anaerobic performance. You can drink coffee to get caffeine. Obviously there are many pre-workout supplements out there as well.
- 0.1 to 0.2 milligrams of yohimbine per kilogram of body weight before training. This increases fat loss during training, especially fasted training. It is also supposed to be particularly helpful with losing “stubborn” fat. Just be careful with this one as some people can be sensitive to its effects.
- A quality fat burner supplement that speeds up your metabolism, enhances fat burning, and reduces hunger and cravings. I would only look for a high quality fat burner with proven vitamins and ingredients that are all natural. This is something that you can take with your regular morning vitamins.
How to Get Rid of Man Boobs With Your Training
Although it is possible to lose body fat without exercising, if you want to know how to get rid of man boobs most efficiently, then you need to exercise. In conjunction with a properly set up diet, it is the fastest way to melt body fat away and retain or even build more muscle.
Here is how you should train to shred body fat as fast as possible:
1) Lift Heavy With Compound Exercises
Everyone thinks that in order to lose fat you have to do extended cardio sessions daily. This is not true. This is a recipe for fat and muscle loss, which will not get rid of your man boobs or dad bod.
In order to preserve or build muscle while losing body fat, you should lift heavy weights with compound exercises.
By heavy, I mean lifting sub-maximal loads where you leave reps in the tank after each set. This works out to be around 75-85% of your one rep max.
Compound exercises are those that require the whole body and multiple joints to move the weight. Think barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press. These exercises train all the major muscle groups to varying degrees. You will gain strength and build muscle training this way.
You don’t have to lift everyday either. You can do just three heavy weightlifting workouts per week and this is plenty to get noticeable results. As you become more advanced, you can increase to four or five workouts per week but you wont ever need to do much more than that.
It will walk you through all of the details of lifting heavy which WILL help you shred body fat and get rid of the man boobs.
2) Go Easy On The Cardio
When many people want to lose weight, the first thing they do is start doing excessive cardio. While this can burn a lot of calories and can help burn fat, it’s not the best way to use cardio to lose fat fast.
You can lose fat pretty quickly without cardio at all. Provided you are lifting heavy weights with compound movements often enough, are active and actually stick to your nutrition plan.
However, not everyone does that. To increase your ability to burn more fat, some cardio may be needed, but only enough to get to where you need to be and maintain your health.
Here are some guidelines you can use:
- Do mostly low to moderate-intensity cardio like walking or rucking. This will interfere with your weightlifting less than high-intensity cardio. Do smaller amounts of HIIT if you enjoy it. Some say they are equally effective at fat loss. Do what you prefer.
- Limit cardio to half of your weightlifting days per week, with sessions being 20-to-40 minutes each. This is a good starting place for maintaining your health and boosting calorie expenditure.
- Do your cardio and weightlifting on separate days if you can. If not, try to do them at different times of the day. Avoid doing legs and cardio on the same day.
Some may not even need cardio to lose the amount of fat that they want. That is fine! However, it is good to do some cardio for general health and fitness. So go hike, walk or bike from time to time.
Others may need a lot of cardio to lose fat on top of everything else. That is fine too! Just stick to the plan and put in the work! The fat will melt off in due time.
3) Stay As Active As Possible
This is probably the most obvious one but it is true! You can dramatically boost the amount of calories you burn everyday by purposely trying to be more active throughout the day. This is especially true for those of you that have sedentary jobs. Without formal training sessions you can help yourself lose more fat faster.
Try some of these little tips everyday:
- Park farther away from where you are going.
- Use the stairs instead.
- Do more chores at home.
- Stand instead of sit at your desk.
- Walk while you work, if possible.
- Avoid the mindless snacking during work. Drink water instead.
These are just some of the possibilities that you can use to help you lose body fat that much faster. They are extremely helpful if you do not have an active job.
Tips on How to Get Rid of man boobs
These are just some common tips that can help you stay on track and lose fat faster. Use them, in addition to your diet and training, to make your fat loss journey a little easier.
Eat a high-protein breakfast.
Studies show that eating lots of protein at breakfast can help you to eat less throughout the rest of the day. Protein also helps you boost your metabolism because it is harder to digest. You don’t need to eat breakfast if you don’t want to, but if you do like to eat breakfast, make sure it’s high-protein.
Avoid liquid calories.
Specialty coffees, alcoholic drinks, sodas, and fruit juices don’t offer much in the way of nutrition and can increase your calorie intake by several hundred calories per day. Cutting these out of your diet can decrease your caloric intake by hundreds of calories per day and boost fat loss. These are best avoided in general for overall health as well. Treat them as indulgences.
Eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. It aids in fat loss because they’re low in calories and fat. You can eat a lot of them without consuming very many calories. Not to mention that they have essential vitamins and minerals for overall health. If a diet plan tells you to avoid fruits because they are high in carbs and sugars, you should be cautious. Fruits are natural sources of these and are essential to a healthy lifestyle.
Eat meals at regular times.
This helps you eat a consistent amount of food every day and minimizes the need for snacking, which often leads to passive overeating and fat gain. It helps keep you on track.
Get enough sleep.
Research shows that getting enough sleep is important for maintaining a healthy weight. Furthermore, getting enough sleep also helps your body burn fat instead of muscle while cutting. This is huge when you’re trying to build/retain muscle mass but lose fat!
Wrapping it up
That’s all there is to it!
The recipe for rapid fat loss comes down to:
- Finding your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).
- Consistently consuming 20-25% below your TDEE.
- Training hard with heavy weights and using compound movements.
- Get proper rest.
Other things like supplements, cardio and daily tips can help you speed up the process as well. However, the fundamentals are what are going to get you the fat loss you are after. That is how you get rid of man boobs!
Thank you for reading!
Please share with your friends or on social media if you found this guide helpful!
Let me know with a quick comment if you have anything to add!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on new articles!
- Proper Nutrition To Build Muscle and Lose Fat (An Ultimate Guide To Nutrition)
- The Fundamentals To Building Muscle
- Ultimate Guide to Building Strength in 2023 (Proven Strength Training Plans)